(Luke 6:37) Judge not, and ye shall not be judged, condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned; forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.
The danger of unforgiveness cannot be overemphasized. Unforgiveness is like poison. It gradually kills a person internally. Many people ruin their health and their lives by taking the poison of bitterness, resentment and unforgiveness. One of the most beautiful examples of a forgiving spirit is found in the book of Genesis. Despite being a victim of jealousy, evil intentions, malicious plotting, and selfish disregard, Joseph had an attitude of forgivenesss that is uncommon and hard for many believers. By responding in this way to hurts, he demonstrated that he was a godly man who understood how to let go of resentment and grab hold of forgiveness (Read Genesis 50:15-21).
Being hurt by someone, particularly someone you love and trust, can cause anger, sadness and confusion. If you dwell on hurtful events or situations, grudges filled with resentment, vengeance and hostility can take root. If you allow negative feelings to crowd out positive feelings, you might find yourself swallowed up by your own bitterness or sense of injustice.
The Dangers of Unforgiveness:
- Unforgiveness bring anger and bitterness into every relationship and new experience
- Unforgiveness will make you become so wrapped up in the wrong that you can’t enjoy the present.
- Unforgiveness leads to depression or anxiety.
- Unforgiveness makes people sick.
- Unforgiveness makes your life lack meaning or purpose, or that you’re at odds with your spiritual beliefs.
- Unforgiveness makes you lose valuable and enriching connectedness with others.
Beloved, reflect on the love of God towards you. God loves you irrespective of your behaviour and action towards Him. Also, reflect on times you yourself have hurt others and on those who have forgiven you. Child of God, forgiveness is a command and not an advice. The resultant effect of unforgiveness is more than the pain of hurts. Therefore, forgive, no matter the offence.
Meditation: Unforgiveness is like taking poison and expecting someone else to die.
RM: Platforms to Take it All
Prayer: My Father, my Lord, kill every unforgiveness in me in Jesus name, Amen.