“As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love.
In order to understand the meaning of abiding in God’s love, its important for us to understand what the term “abide” connotes. To abide, is an action geared towards the conformance of a rule, decison, or recommendation. When you abide to anything, you are in conformance to the defined standards of that thing.
So what then does it mean to abide in God’s love?
Our Lord Jesus Christ made a profound statement in the book of John 6:38, which clearly explains to us how we should abide in the Love of God.
For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.
It is important to note that God defines the will. It is God that defines the standards for our existence and operations. Jesus Christ came to the world to showcase these standards as a lifestyle through the obedience to the Word of His Father.
If we must abide in God’s love, we must keep His commands (John 15:10), for we cannot be out of tune with His word, and claim to abide in His love (John 14:15). God’s command to us is to love Him with the entirety of our being, and also to love our neighbours (Mathew 22:37, Mathew 15:12).
However, every action that does not depict our love for God, or that of our neighbours, is contrary to the definition of abiding in God’s love.
Things to note:
1. God created the will (John 6:38).
2. Man was created in the will of God (Genesis 1:27) .
3. Man’s duty is to showcase the will of God through obedience to His word (Ecclesiastes 12:13)
4. The Joy of meaningful existence and fulfillment of destiny is only derived by the action of doing the will of God (2 Timothy 4:7).
1. We must understand the will of the Father, by studying His Word.
2. We must understand our design in God’s Will, inorder to fashion our lifestyle in that direction.
God bless you.