Therefore “If your enemy is hungry, feed him;If he is thirsty, give him a drink;For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”
The true definition of a believer is in his/her capacity to LOVE, irrespective of the prevalent conditions and circumstances, because our only claim to the knowledge of God is LOVE (1 John 4:8).
The world is filled with so much evil, and the devil instigates people around us with an attitude of hatred, with the aim to evangelise us with the gospel of hatred, and also to win us as converts of hate. When we abandon LOVE, and become hateful because of peoples attitudes and reactions, then the devil has successfully won us over to his side.
However, it is imperative that we remain firmly rooted in LOVE, and remain on the side of LOVE, for that is where our identity lies. It does not matter how you have been mistreated, please refuse the attempt to reciprocate any misgivings with hatred, instead overpower hatred with LOVE, because LOVE is for the strong.
WHY SHOULD YOU LOVE YOUR ENEMY?
1. God is Love (1 John 4:8).
2. Our Knowledge of God is embedded in our capacity to Love (1 John 4:8).
3. The reward for Loving your enemies outweighs that of loving your friends (Luke 6:33).
4. The distinctive nature of a believer, as compared to a sinner, lies in his/her ability to do everything in Love ( 1 Corinthians 16:14).
5. Love is not a religious view, but the believers way of life (1 John 4:7).
6. Evil can only be defeated by Love, hence Love is a believers weapon ( Romans 12:21).
6. Hatred is a license to hell (1 John 3:15).
Moreover, as we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, let us reflect on His lifestyle, that we may understand the true definition of Love.
God bless you.