I am a pragmatist. I view scriptures from a pragmatic perspective. I wish to address the issue of submission and love in Christian marriage. Pay attention for a moment, please.
A wife who is not submitting herself to her husband has made the choice to make herself unavailable to be loved by her husband. In marriage, the love of a husband is enhanced and it thrives on the submission of the wife in EVERYTHING. A man is practically unable to love a woman who has not availed herself in submission to her husband. Before you brand this point as ultra machismo or misogynistic view, wait a moment. Read on.
THE ANALOGY OF JESUS ON THE CROSS
As Jesus hung on the cross at crucifixion, two thieves were hung by his left and right sides. At the peak of the redemptive sacrifice of Jesus, when his blood was gushing out from his pierced body, one of the two condemned thieves looked on in disdain and mocked Jesus. He rejected Jesus at that critical moment. Jesus ignored him and said nothing to him because he had already made his choice to reject Jesus. The second thief however prayed that Jesus should remember him in paradise. To this second thief, Jesus responded favorably and warmly embraced him.
CHRISTIAN WIVES AND SUBMISSION
Ephesians 5: 22 – 24
22. Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord.
23. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.
24. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
CHRISTIAN MEN AND THE COMMAND TO LOVE
Ephesians 5: 25 & 33.
25. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.
33. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
Love is what keeps a marriage alive. The husband is the one commanded to love, but until a submissive and respectful wife submit herself in everything like that condemned thief who asked Jesus to remember him in paradise, she is unavailable to be loved by her husband. Just like Jesus did not embrace the thief who mocked at him on the cross, a husband may be incapable of embracing a wife who refuses to submit to him. The extent of a man’s love and embrace for his wife is solely dependent on her level of respect and submission to him.
Single ladies, let me be brutally honest here – if you are not prepared to SUBMIT to your husband in everything and RESPECT HIM, MARRIAGE IS NOT FOR YOU. NO MAN IS UNDER THE OBLIGATION TO LOVE AN UNAVAILABLE WIFE. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE.
Wives are the real keepers of the home, but it takes submission of the wives to keep the home. Keeping your home is SUBMITTING TO YOUR HUSBAND IN EVERYTHING.
When husbands don’t experience submission and respect from their wives, LOVE IN THE HOME WILL DIE. When love dies, the MARRIAGE IS OVER!
LOVE THAT LACK OF SUBMISSION REJECTS
When a woman rejects submit in all things to her husband, she invariably has made the choice to reject this sort of love described below in –
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
4. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Nothing keeps a home like the submission of a wife. The submission of a wive is the fire that keeps the love of her husband burning. Without love all else will crumble.