And He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree of which I commanded you that you should not eat?”
In today’s word, we look at the interaction that ensued between God, Adam and Eve, after the duo disobeyed God by eating from the tree they were instructed not to (Genesis 2:16). During this interaction, there was a consistent pattern of blame game and an absolution of responsibility by the first man and woman. The man blamed the woman for his disobedience, and the woman in turn blamed the serpent for her disobedience to God’s instruction.
This scenario is still being replayed daily in our times, as people blame their various acts of disobedience on the activities of satan in their lives. For example, a man is caught fornicating, he blames satan, a married woman is caught in the acts of adultery, she blames satan, just like Eve did.
Obedience to God is a personal responsibility, hence it cannot be transferred to any party at all ( John 14:15, Luke 6:46, 2 Kings 18:6). God’s instructions are given out to, and applies to every individual, hence it’s the responsibility of each individual to comply to God’s words through obedience.
HOW DO WE TAKE RESPONSIBILITY THROUGH OBEDIENCE
1. Through the understanding that obedience is a call to abide in God’s presence ( 1 John 3:24, Jeremiah 7:23, John 15:10).
2. Placing the highest value on God’s word, above every other word ( Acts 5:29, John 14:31, Phillipians 2:8).
3. Making a strong decision not to go back to the former things ( 1 Peter 1:14, Psalm 119:30, 2 Kings 18:6).
4. Avoiding the wrong company, and associating with people that continually reaffirms the importance of obeying God’s words ( Acts 5:29, 1 Corinthians 15:33).
5. Understanding that our destinies are tied to our obedience (Isaiah 1:19, Exodus 23:22, John 8:51).
6. Understanding that obedience is a proof of our love for God ( John 14:15, 1 John 5:3, Luke 6:46, John 14:31).
7. Understanding that obedience is a mark of separation ( Hebrews 5:9, Romans 6:16, Mathew 7:21).
However, it is important to note that all aspects of our Christian life and journey is tied to obedience, hence we must take responsibility to apply and comply with God’s words, for we would actually give account of how we have either obeyed or disobeyed God on the last day.
God bless you.