You shall walk after the Lord your God and fear Him, and keep His commandments and obey His voice; you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him.
Holding fast to God is an attitude that signifies the absolute recognition and acceptance of the way of the Lord. It is a resolution of either the way of the Lord, or no way.
When we hold fast unto the Lord our God, our convictions are devoid of compromises, but in the application and enforcement of the laid down standards as prescribed by God.
HOW DO WE HOLD FAST UNTO GOD?
1. PROXIMITY WITH GOD: Holding fast unto God requires our attention and consciousness in ensuring that we are in relationship with our maker, and taking out any obstacle that will hinder that status.
“You shall walk after the Lord your God”
To walk after the Lord, signifies to seek the Lord. We can’t hold fast to God if we refuse to seek, because we can only find Him when we seek (Jeremiah 29:13). When we seek, we bridge the distance by putting behind us those things that will seperate us from experiencing His presence (Isaiah 59:12).
Holding fast to God, is getting close enough to be a residence and beneficiary of His presence.
2. FEAR HIM: The phrase ” Fear Him” does not connotes being afraid, but being in total submission to Him. The bible tells us in the book of 2 Timothy 1:7, that God has not given us the spirit of Fear, but of power, love and discipline.
When we “Fear Him”, we are in total submission to His will and aspirations. His will becomes our will, His commandments becomes a standard for our lifestyle. The values associated with His presence becomes emboldened and reflective in our approach to life.
In the book Genesis 39:9, Joseph refused to compromise by sleeping with his master’s wife, because he feared God. Without the fear of God, the values associated with the presence of God can never be found in your life. The fear of God is a wealth of resource that empowers us with wisdom and understanding in making the right judgements that would help us in promoting a value system that would lead us into close contact with God, while avoiding pitfalls detrimental to our relationship status with Him (Proverb 9:10).
3. KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: The commandments of the Lord are for our good and not burdens. They are instructions geared towards enacting a value system that portrays how God wants us to live. God is our creator, and He knows us better than we know ourselves. He is aware of the parameters required for our functionality and vitality.
If a car manufacturer says to you in the instruction manual, please ensure that you change your break pads, he is saying it to you because he doesn’t want you to crash with that car. This is to preserve the vehicle and save you from any harm or if possible, untimely death. Yet, as car owners we obey these man made instructions, because we want to preserve our cars and prevent any form of harm.
In thesame vein, God does not want your life to be injured by the fiery darts of the enemy, or for you to crash into hell as a result of disobedience.
God wants you to be blessed, but your blessings are tied to your obedience to His word. Obedience has conditions, and till when they are fulfilled, they cannot be activated.
The major step to obeying the word of God, does not lie solely in the contact and interactions with the Word, but in the retention of the word, for the purpose of application.
4. SERVICE: Can we hold fast to God without service? It is practically impossible. Service to God is an act of submition and devotion to the will of God. You cannot follow the Lord without service (John 12:26), because service to God is a requirement for holding fast to God.
We are called to serve and not to be served. Our Lord Jesus Christ exemplified the true meaning of service, throughout His lifetime here on earth (Mark 10:45).
1. O’ Lord help me to hold fast to You in all my ways, in Jesus name, amen.
2. Anything in me that would build a barrier between me and God, I overcome you with the blood of Jesus Christ, amen.
3. O’ Lord, I will not be too busy to serve you, in Jesus name, amen